Monday, June 21, 2010

KapperQuad 2.0 - Launch!


Today I had my first "real" flight with the new KapperQuad 2.0. It was built with materials from AeroQuad.com, Home Depot, and HobbyKing. KapperQuad 1.0 didn't have any real flight time. By the time I was done building it, I realized the motors, props and frame were all wrong. And I didn't want to keep polishing a turd. Sooooo KapperQuad 2.0 was born from refinement.

KapperQuad 2.0
1 X Arduino Mega
1 X Spektrum AR6110e RX
1 X 5 DOF IMU
1 X Dual Axis Gyro
4 X Turnigy 2217 860kv 22A Outrunner Motors
2 X Zippy Flightmax 2200mAh 3S 20C (running in parallel)
4 X TowerPro H40A ESC
2 X APC 12x3.8 Prop Slow Flyer
2 X APC 12x3.8 Prop Slow Flyer Pusher
1 X GoPro Hero Camera
The motors are 60 cm apart.
The total weight with batteries is about 1.8 kg.
The shelves are made of polycarbonate (Lexan).



My goal is to have a very stable camera platform to use for aerial video. I am not sure what is "normal" for a quad. So there will be extensive testing and practice.

Currently my biggest fear is flipping the copter. It seems to fly well but the yaw is not strong enough. I am working on adjusting my settings.

It seems pretty stable overall. Version 1.0 seemed as though it would flip really easy. I lowered the center of gravity in this version and I feel more confident about how it moves. I just seem to get a lot of drift. Of course there was a light wind.




No comments:

Post a Comment